Time to compress 8K image:
etcpak 0.3: 655 ms
etcpak 0.4: 77 ms
This is thanks to Daniel Jungmann, who submitted patches implementing SSE 4.1 and AVX2 instructions. SSE 4.1 is now default and required (supported by Core 2 and AMD Bulldozer CPUs) and AVX2 is detected at runtime (support added in Haswell CPUs).
Other new features:
- ETC1 dissection mode, allowing in-depth inspection of compressed images.
- Mip-maps will be calculated only if needed (doh!).
- Alpha channel compression is now deterministic.
- Minor changes in compression precision. This will change checksums of most compressed images, compared with previous versions.
- Multithreaded job dispatch algorithm was improved.
- zlib/PNG checksum validation was removed, resulting in 12% improvement in image load times.